Finding the perfect virtual receptionist answering service will expose you to words and terms that you may not have heard before. Having a conversation with someone who knows what these words mean, when you do not, will be confusing. Rather than feeling unprepared to make a decision regarding an answering service because you don’t fully understand what is being offered, Insta-answer.com has created a glossary to help you make the right choice.
A Glossary of Answering Service-Related Terms
- Abandoned Call: When a caller hangs up before any conversation takes place.
- Auto-Attendant: A computerized virtual assistant, also called an IVR (interactive voice response), and a CSR (customer service representative).
- Automatic Call Distributor: Sends calls to the right destination.
- Automatic Number Identification: Caller ID
- Blended or Shared Agent: A call center operator that answers calls for different businesses.
- Dedicated Agent: A call center operator that answers calls for a specific business.
- Call or Line Hunting: Calls that ring at one location and transfer to another location after a specific number of rings.
- Call Paths: How operators route calls for paths such as appointments, billing, emergencies, etc.
- Cold Transfer: Transferring a call before checking if someone is available.
- DNIS: Dialed Number ID Service: Allows the operator to know which phone number was dialed in order to use the correct script.
- Interactive Voice Response (IVAR): Allows the caller to have different options using their keypad to be directed to different numbers.
- Message Ticket: The message taken by the operator.
- OpID: Operator identification.
- Patching: Connecting a call to another destination.
- PBX (Private Branch Exchange): A business’s telephone system that connects phones to each other and to the public telephone network.
- Portal: Answering services usually offer an online portal where you log in to see your messages.
- Script: An operator will have a script to handle the requests of anyone who is calling. It is customized by you to fit your specific needs.
- Trunk: The amount of phone lines that come into a call center.
- Unified Communications: Unified communications include phone, email, fax, instant messaging, etc. that are organized to provide a way for operators to respond to phone calls by any method.
- Voice Over Internet Protocol (VolP): Allows you to make or accept a call using the internet and not a phone service provider.
- Warm Patch or Warm Transfer: An operator places a caller on hold when patching them through.
- Web Chat/Live Chat: A system where clients speak with customer support via the internet.
Now that you are familiar with the vocabulary pertaining to virtual receptionists, contact Insta-Answer. We have been a U.S. based, privately-owned company for over fifty years so we understand what our clients need to grow their small or large business. We make sure you never miss a call. No matter the size of your business, our answering service representatives can help you stay on top of the market. Look no further than Insta-Answer.com at 888-356-8866 or email [email protected]. We look forward to hearing from you.