The importance of proper communication during a crisis cannot be understated, and new technology innovations strive to make communication as seamless as possible. One such innovation, being implemented around the country, is two-way visual communication systems in elevators.
But why is it so important to include visual communications if elevators already include call phones? And how does it work? Here’s all you should know about it…
Emergency elevator communication systems for the deaf, hard of hearing, and speech impaired must all provide the following accommodations now:
- Live 24/7 text-based, visual, and video-based communication
- Accessibility for the hearing and speech impaired, with voice-only options for the visually impaired
- Compatibility with video conferencing, chat/text software, and other approved communication technology used by emergency personnel.
In just the past few years new regulations, such as those set by the International Building Code (IBC) of 2018 and the ASME A17.1 Code of 2019, mandate the installation of these video monitoring systems in new elevator cars.
These video systems are to be implemented in all new elevator installations as well as major modifications. Whether you are doing a rehab, renovation, or installing a brand new elevator, it must include an emergency two-way visual communication system.
To ensure the safety of any passengers in an emergency situation, communication systems need to be inclusive of those with disabilities. As such, video monitoring systems provide hearing impaired individuals with a new and improved method of communicating with rescue services.
These new visual communication systems are made up of these three important components within each elevator car:
- An adjustable camera that can be accessed remotely by rescue services to view the elevator car, passengers, and floor.
- An LCD video display that allows dispatchers to inform passengers of their rescue status and ask questions remotely.
- Physical YES/NO buttons for passengers to respond to questions with.
Insta Answer is no stranger to these new regulations. Through our partnership with SmartView Visual Communication, we have implemented video monitoring into our elevator call services. Our team of expertly trained agents that understand how to deal with entrapments is here to help anyone in need, anytime, anywhere. Don’t believe us? Contact us today and see for yourself how we handle our customers.